I had done a series of signs last year and mostly what was required was negatives of each letter for the signs. This meant that the positive forms all fell out and I collected them not fully knowing what I was going to do with them. I had sort of decided to do a face out of small offcuts of wire when I saw these on the bench. My brain immediately said … why not them! And I did use them though I had to add a few bits of wire for definition. I had done a man of letters before as a small mixed media with a man wearing a coat of envelopes ( letters) so this is a sort of recycled idea but done in a totally different way!