When I did my last piece( ideas take flight) I started to use a bin of nuts, bolts pins etc and the positive and negative spaces were quite delightful. It was time consuming to set out all the bits and then weld them on both sides, but the end result was better than I expected.
I still had a part tin full of similar things so I designed this basic form in the sketchbook and had part covered with the plasma-cut offcuts to provide a contrast. I felt it needed a ball in the circle and I had an old counterweight that had sat in the shed for a long time waiting for the right use. It all came together nicely and the end chaos is all contained effectively by the circles.. leading me to title it placid.